Grandma’s Pearls Become Heirlooms

    Family traditions or rituals are our link to the past, to our family present enjoyments, and to the hope that this special family will continue on in the future. Patterns of the way we do things do simplify life. I was asked to create a new family tradition of sorts. A while back I got a call from my mom with what I thought would be an easy request. She wanted to know if she sent me grandmothers’ pearls would I make something out of them for her to pass down through her family. The five strand necklace had long since seen better days and several strands had broken many years ago. It was a harder request than I originally thought, as when I received them I just couldn’t get past the thought of cutting up my grandmothers’ five strand pearl necklace.

    Needless to say they sat on my working bench for some time until I got the inspiration after attending the International Gem & Mineral Show in Tucson (while passing numerous booths full of birthstones) to create something very unique and original from my grandmothers’ pearls…I would create birthstone necklaces using the birthstones of each family member. After months of trial and error in finding the right size and colors of Swarovski crystals, I finally got the inspiration and took the plunge to break up the five strand necklace. Much to my mom’s delight, I’ve finally finished the project and this is the result.


    For My Mom (to the left):  The first set is my mom’s, it has all the birthstones of the family starting with my grandparents (center), my mom and dad on either side and up one side with my family (my husband, me, and my two sons) and the other containing my brother’s family (my brother, his wife and their daughter); between the pearls and Swarovski crystals are silver rondelle crystal spacers. Her bracelet reflects the same birthstones of the entire family in three separate strands. She will pass this set down to her oldest grandson.
    For My Niece (to the right): The next set is for her granddaughter (my niece), this one is a little different as it reflects the generations of the family. As I was trying to figure out how to get the crystals coordinated it dawned on me that I had grandmothers and grandchildren so why not just do that.  On one side grandmother (my mom) to granddaughter (my niece) and on the other is grandmother (my grandma) to grandson (my brother); between the pearls and Swarovski crystals are silver rondelle crystal spacers. Her bracelet is the same generation of birthstones. She will pass her set down her daughter.


    For My Sister-in-Law (to the left): The last bracelet is for my mom’s daughter-in-law and this one has all the birthstones of her family, my niece in the center with her parents on either side; between the pearls and Swarovski crystals are silver rondelle crystal spacers. She will pass her bracelet down to her granddaughter.
    Still In Development – My Set: Not to worry, I got a set in development! My mother also sent me a couple of her pearl necklaces, which I’ll be taking a part and putting together with my families birthstones, her pearls and a mixture of other gemstones hooked to the antique clasp from my grandmother’s five strand pearl necklace. My set will be passed down to my youngest son.


    Grandmas’ pearls come to life and given new birth, yet still reflect the generations of a traditional family….one heirloom created into several to be enjoyed for many generations to come between many family members. Who knows, maybe someday someone will add to necklaces for new family heirlooms.

     “If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people.”
    ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Blog Archive